Look in the Kitchen for Whiter Teeth
Periodontal Associates strives to give you a life changing smile by helping you understanding how to properly care for your teeth. However, instead of focusing on what not to do, we want to share some helpful hints that may promote a sparkling smile. It is no surprise that there are plenty of food and drink products out there that will stain your teeth. Some of those stainers are red wine, coffee, tea, or even soft drinks. However, there may be foods that can help reverse that damage and may brighten your smile (Besides visiting Drs. Versman, Heller, and Beckman). Here are a few foods to choose from:
1. ‘Say Cheese’: Cheese is a product that contains lactic acid. Lactic acid is believed to help prevent teeth from building decay. Hard cheeses, like cheddar or parmesan, are better for this than soft cheeses, like goat and feta.
2. You have a ‘berry’ nice smile: Strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries galore! You may think, how these could brighten your smile when they stain your clothes and get seeds stuck in your teeth, but these also contain acidic juices to brighten your grin. The acid in berries is called malic acid. These are best used when eaten and left in and around the teeth for 5 minutes followed by a regular brushing. If you are patient, you may see the effects after a couple of months.
3. Chomp on the crunch: Strive for crunchy foods, especially fruits and vegetables with this texture. Not only do some of these raw foods contain more acids, these foods are slightly abrasive. The benefits of this are to keep the teeth clean and the enamel strong. Look for foods like carrots, celery, and pears.
4. Bobbing for apples: An apple a day keeps the doctor away, right? Drs. Versman, Heller, and Beckman are not suggesting that bi-annual visits are allowed to be postponed, but eating right may prevent or postpone the need for serious dental work. Apples are great as they provide acid and a slightly rough texture, but they also help to increase saliva production. By doing that, apples can fight off cavity producing bacteria.
5. Sour foods for a sweet smile: Lemons often make people frown and pucker, but if you can get through the taste, the acidity with lemon juice mixed with salt or baking soda can help whiten your smile. The caution with this suggestion is that you do not want to over use it as it can cause some sensitivity.
As great as it sounds to whiten teeth inexpensively, naturally, and quickly, Drs. Versman, Heller, and Beckman would suggest discussing your home care with them before you get started. Periodontal Associates can help create an individual plan to best help your health and aesthetic needs.
We are happy to schedule a free dental implant consultation or appointments for any other dental needs like cleanings. We are located in Aurora, CO, but our clients come from near and far all over Colorado to see our specialists, Drs. Versman, Heller, and Beckman. Please click to schedule an appointment or call us at (303) 755-4500.